Thursday, October 29, 2015

More Historical Perspective or Why I Fear for Instructional Technology as a Profession


This is one of my first web sites - developed in 2001.  I chose the topic because it was controversial (still is) and it allowed me to use lots of pictures in buttons.  Because in 2001, that was advanced.

Note the matrices and the fact that the instructor printed out every page of the web site.

As I sifted through my papers from my Instructional Technology Masters degree, it occurred to me that we are having the same conversations that we did in 2001.

Despite lots of research, we are still designing the same stuff.

Still asking how we can develop the same stuff FASTER vs how we can design effective solutions that better map to the way people learn and the environments we work in.

The solutions I see now are very similar to the solutions I saw back then.

Because when we are actually faced with having to DO something, we revert back to the same habits.

Thinking in terms of courses.
Thinking in terms of how fast we can develop a course vs whether a course is an appropriate solution in the first place.
Thinking in terms of "training" vs helping people become more comfortable with change.
Thinking in terms of events vs the small, distributed experiences that are proven to work.

We have over 15 years worth of research - people!!!!

Let's use it!!!!!

No comments: