Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Remote Coaching


Mike Nelson's response to my deadlift form.  This deadlift was done at 115# - which was under my working weight for that day of 135#.

I thought it was a great example of "customized distance learning".

Mike was kind enough to let me share and answer some questions regarding how he structured his class.
-----------------------
For those of you who have read this blog for years, you know that I've been on a bit of a health kick.
Actually - it may be more than a kick since I've been at it for 4+ years....

Anyway, I had an opportunity to do some remote coaching with a trainer / nutrition researcher who's work I have been following for the past couple of years.

I thought the course was a good example of "customized" eLearning.

Brief notes on the design of the course / coaching from the student perspective:
- Duration: 6 weeks (5 weeks of material + 1 week of wrap-up)

- We would receive an email with a link to the week's material.  Mike would then follow-up with a call for questions and some homework.

- The student would respond with the requested material.

It was pretty straightforward and, I thought, really effective.

What got my attention, however, was the care he took in responding to some of my inquiries - such as taking a look at my deadlift form from a really crummy cell-phone video.  His comments were incredibly helpful.

My current working weight is up to 175# for 5 reps.  Not bad for someone who took a year off from all heavy work and who's 1RM at her strongest was 205#.  Last September, a few months after this course - I was able to easily lift 205# again.

Thank you Dr. Mike Nelson for letting me share the video.

No comments: