Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Playing with the New




This weekend's trapeze adventure.

Thanks Megan for coming out to play with me and for the video!
-------------------
This has been the year of playing with the new.
  • Up2Us
  • Overlap
  • Panel Discussion
  • Skydiving
  • Flying
  • Pole Dancing (no - there is NOT a video for this)
  • Stand-up Paddleboarding
  • and the Trapeze.
No - this is NOT a result of a mid-life crisis. (I had that a few years ago - thankyouverymuch)

This is more a result of deciding to familiarize myself with the unfamiliar.
Get comfortable with the the new and novel.
The fear of looking stupid.
Failing.
Falling off the paddleboard.
Looking like a punk rocker in a mosh pit when I'm supposed to be finding my "inner sex kitten"
Crashing to the ground.
Being "exposed" - intellectually, emotionally

As an adult, dangit, we are supposed to be "good at everything."

I know this fear of looking stupid, this discomfort with the unknown, has kept me from taking advantage of opportunities.

This seemed like a good time to face that fear.

Opportunity knocks!





2 comments:

Joe Fournier said...

Awesome! And with your freshly acquired blacksmithing skills, you can fashion your own trapeze as well.

Been a similar kind of year for me. Not quite as adventurous, but I'm doing more that I long to do. Life is too precious not to be well-lived.

Wendy Wickham said...

Joe - "calculated risk." As in - I wouldn't trust my blacksmithing or rigging skills to keep me from getting injured on the trapeze. Better for me to leave that setup to the pros.

Life is indeed precious.

Besides - I want to get everything done in case reincarnation isn't real :)