Friday, March 08, 2013

Seedlings

This spring's seedlings under the grow lamp.
- Upper left - Cardoons
- Lower left - Kale
- Upper right - Bete Noire cabbage
- Lower right - Brunswick cabbage

The Bete Noire cabbage looks a bit unhappy in this picture. Those particular seeds sprout later - so I'm not worried.

My seedlings are a little spindly, though.

Time to adjust the growing environment :)
 ------------------------------
I've started the annual gardening cycle again.  This is my 2nd full season growing stuff in my yard.

Right now - I'm starting seeds for the spring garden.
This spring - broccoli, cauliflower, kale and a couple types of cabbage.

Amazing how quickly those seeds sprout with a little light, a little heat and a little water.

I don't have to fuss over them.  Just keep an eye on them, thin them as they get healthier - picking only the strongest.  The weaker seedlings get composted (or eaten - nom!).

In a couple of weeks - the seedlings should be ready for the great outdoors.

And, if all goes well, I should have green and purple cabbage for coleslaw, kale for kale chips, broccoli to roast (the only way I will eat it) and purple cauliflower to look at (or figure out some way to consume that doesn't require a blender, 2 sticks of butter and a pint of heavy cream to eat).
-------------------
This 6 month cycle has been about starting seedlings.

- Collecting requirements / challenges from my co-workers (seeds)
- Collecting ideas from my tribe (seeds)
- Creating a fertile environment for these things to grow (light, heat, water, soil)
- Adjusting that environment as needed to support those seedlings (nutrients)
- Weeding out to give the best seedlings a chance to grow strong (care)

As I collect seeds and begin sprouting them, I am continuing to make decisions around what I want in this garden of mine.

What will I use (eat) most.
When is the best time to grow that particular seed.
When is the seedling ready.
Where should I plant it.
Who do I share the harvest with.
What changes need to be made if the process "fails".

In the actual practice of training and development - we tend to focus on the "event".
The Assessment of what needs to be in the event.
Best practices for Design.
The final product for Delivery
The timeline for Implementation.

But in our march to the next project, Evaluation gets neglected.
The step back to see whether we have selected the right seeds.
Created a fertile environment.
Grew what we expected to grow.

This is above and beyond metrics and Kilpatrick levels and smile sheets.
It is in that Evaluation process that we have the opportunity to tend the garden.
All of it.  Not just one plant (the course). Or just one container (the curriculum).

How fertile and varied is your garden?

No comments: