After investigating the current state of the LMS space over the past 3 months I have learned the following:
- Adding content that is trackable is still awkward in the majority of LMSs
- The type of reporting I want to be able to do -Is the training stuff I am developing actually helping the business?- has no BUSINESS being in the LMS. It should be in the organization's business intelligence systems. If you don't know or haven't made friends with your organization's resident Data Whisperer - it's time to go out and socialize. Bring cookies.
- The space really hasn't changed very much.
- "Collaboration tools" is the new chat room / message board
- The types of reports you can get are the same (butts in seats, completion and scores)
- The assumption is still that the learning objects are "courses"
If I replace the LMS we have with another LMS - we still have the same problems.
Oh yeah - and the content library in the current LMS is too valuable to fully replace the LMS, so we would wind up with TWO LMSs.
Erm...yeah. Sounds like a great use of our time.
I have a feeling I am not alone here.