Friday, February 22, 2013

The Hole in the Sidewalk

Some really amazing sidewalk art from Julian Beever (Pavement Picasso)
-----------------------
My last post pretty much categorized all of the fears I have around this new Learning Ecosystem thing.

A good night's sleep and I think I can see those concerns for what they are:
- The Lizard Brain (Seth Godin)
- The Resistance (Steven Pressfield)
- The Flinch (Julian Smith)

Admittedly, these concerns are very real. 
Part of what makes those fears as strong as they are is that I have lived through all of them.
Multiple times.
Various iterations.

Sometimes - I think knowing what's coming is worse than ignorance.
Even though I've survived it before.
Even though I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do this time to avoid the "hole".
---------------------------

There Is a Hole in My Sidewalk
Autobiography in Five Short Chapters

By Portia Nelson

Chapter One
I walk down the street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I fall in.
I am lost…I am helpless.
It isn’t my fault.
It takes forever to find a way out.

Chapter Two
I walk down the street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I pretend that I don’t see it.
I fall in again.
I can’t believe I am in this same place.
But, it isn’t my fault.
It still takes a long time to get out.

Chapter Three
I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I see it is there.
I still fall in…it’s a habit…but,
My eyes are open
I know where I am
It is my fault.
I get out immediately,

Chapter Four
I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I walk around it.

Chapter Five
I walk down another street.

------------------------
Let's see what chapter I am on.

No comments: