Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Adventures with the Aeropress

First attempt at the Bacon Taco. This turned out to be more of a "soft shell" bacon taco. 
The filling - cheddar, avocado, red cabbage, slow-cooked beef, Mom's homemade taco sauce.

Next iteration - cook the bacon more for a "hard shell bacon taco."
Still delicious.
--------------------
Currently, there are two people whose food recommendations I follow:

- Guy Fieri - I find him unwatchable on anything other than Diners, Drive Ins and Dives, but to date his restaurant recommendations have been spot-on.

- Aaron Silvers - Because he provides epic ideas for kitchen experiments, like the Bacon Bomb. And the Bacon Taco. And his restaurant recommendations are also spot-on.  Plus, I'm more likely to eat with him than with Guy Fieri and he's less obnoxious (though Guy may be a really nice, thoughtful dude who reads lots of books in real life.  Don't know...)

One of Aaron's more recent kitchen recommendations is the Aeropress.

I am a lemming.  If Aaron says that the best source of sushi is found at the base of a 50" cliff and the only way to access it is by BASE jumping in a wingsuit, you bet I would follow.



So, of course, I had to buy one.

-------------------------
My history with coffee is a bit checkered.

In my youth, I had a nasty two pot a day habit that included the cooked out dregs from the bottom of the old, stained carafe (I was a stagehand!  Sue me!).

As I "matured" - I managed to get consumption down to a 36 oz max (most days).

Still a "coffee slut" - McDonalds, Starbucks, 7-11, overcooked pots, percolated, french press, I'll drink it. I've even been reduced to DECAF (the horror!).

In an attempt to be a little more sophisticated in my coffee consumption (and to slow it down just a tad), I purchased the Aeropress and a coffee grinder.

Yes, the Aeropress makes coffee faster.  But the time spent making the coffee is involvement time.

Think - making an omelet vs. dumping a slab of beef, a can of tomatoes and a frozen bag of pre-chopped veggies in a slow-cooker. The slow cooker takes a lot longer, but the involvement time (if you are just doing the dump and cook) is much less than the omelet.  And there is a lot more room for error in the slow cooker vs. the omelet.

The Aeropress is also a test of my coffee-making prowess. 

Get the temperature wrong, the ratio of coffee to water wrong, the type of beans wrong - you wind up with either tepid dishwater or a sour-brown substance.  Of course, I will drink both (because I am a coffee slut) - but I find that I need to be a bit more scientific about my coffee making.

On the bright side - it slows down consumption.  And I haven't even brought the grinder variable into the equation yet.  I've been using the pre-ground stuff from the grocery store that I had gotten for my French Press (remember: coffee slut).

So I will continue playing with this toy. If only to keep myself occupied with the search for the "perfect" cup of coffee.  And put some controls around my nasty coffee addiction.





No comments: