Wednesday, June 20, 2012

#mlearncon More Tin Can Hooky

The tipping point for me when thinking about any technology is "Does this solve a problem I have now."

I'm not gonna go look for problems so I can use the technology.  I'm too lazy for that.  The bleeding edge technology evangelists are much better at that sort of thing.

My conversation with Andy Whittaker (Rustici Software) helped me identify the problem I am needing to solve:

How do I figure out what our staff is learning?

We have so many different databases / spreadsheets / learning management systems / ill-formatted web documents with this information lurking around our campus.  How do we easily gather this information and then process it so we can figure out what is going on?

Heck - I would love to see just one list of all of the training an employee did just within our organization.  Nevermind conferences, external training sessions, certification courses, etc.

I'm thinking the easier it is to get this information, the easier it will be for us to get what we need out.

------------------
So I did a little more meandering around the conference.

After talking briefly with Koreen (really excited to see her!) - I meandered back over to Articulate to see how they put together publication in Tin Can format.  Slick.

Gerry at Articulate then recommended I wander over to the Litmos booth and see what it looks like on the LMS end.

Again - the technology is in VERY early days (we are only talking 2.5 months old).  But it was really interesting to see how it outputs.  Simple English.  Like looking at someone's Twitter feed.  All I needed to do was glance and quickly see where someone has been and completion status.  No complicated translation or formatting really needed.

There's still a lot of work to be done and lots of experimentation needed by the vendors.  And, again, I'm a bit downstream.

Still - I see a problem this can solve and it's pretty exciting.

2 comments:

Cammy Bean said...

Wendy -- just loving your commentary on Tin Can. I think you're asking really good questions and appreciate your stream on this!

Wendy Wickham said...

Thanks Cammy! Just trying to figure out how this applies to me. Figure if this buzzword is gonna come to me eventually - I might as well find out about it now :) I really hope it helps.