(group project - Breakout 1)
(I probably should have gotten out the video camera to capture the conversation. May need to ask next time.)
(To find some options - my teammates went here. )
Interesting tools that came up:
- Vyew (may be backend for Google Hangouts now)
- Disqus - discussion board you can embed in your own site
Cloud filesharing - one heads-up, put it in the cloud and it can be mined.
Ghost of Online Future
Cautions for Rogueing
- FERPA (and HIPPA for the Medical folks)
- Multitudes of Platforms
- Technical Crashes - be prepared!
- "Hackers" into Blogs and Sites
- Constant need to shift...volatile market
+ Ning-ification (free service suddenly becomes paid)
+ My Favorite Ap just got bought! (please see Elluminate -> Blackboard Collaborate)
Check your library. They will have a bunch of stuff that you hadn't thought of as tools and resources.
"Not Yet" - IT may not be ready to support this.
(And this is why you share this with your IT)
- Bloom and Technology - mapping digital tools to Bloom's Taxonomy
- Linking to Embedding - this is about control. How much.
- Rich Media - It's about the Video
+ Screen Capture
+ Webinars / (A)Synchronous Video Discussions
+ The "Flipped" Classroom - what are you doing to make their f2f time worthwhile?
- Students do it Too! How much storage did you say?
+ Eventually - our students need to be able to do this.
+ In higher ed - accrediation and need for artifacts FROM THE STUDENTS
Heads up - we need to teach to write to a screen
- People prefer click over scroll
- Medline Plus - think about the complexity of the navigation and writing when viewing this site.
Designing for Apps
- Apps do one little thing
- Can only look at the information they want you to look at
- Advantage: apps can keep folks totally locked in (CONTROL!!!!)
Standards for Online Courses (one example - NYiT)
- Scoresheet / Matrix for online course delivery
- Based on Quality Matters rubric
What an institution can do - corrall the rogues who are going to do it anyway as a "Research and Development team" and use them as a group to learn.
Discussion of "Edupunk" and moving outside of business vendors.
Hard part - long-term. Almost has to come after. By the time you finish it...probably have new stuff...
Expectations have changed.
- Book is on the phone.
- I can do work as I move.
- "everything I need should be on my smartphone"