Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Year of Learning Quietly



It's been almost a year since I last blogged.

My list of excuses:

- I didn't have anything to add to the discussion.

- I didn't get out to conferences.

- I wasn't engaging in the eLearning social media discussion. Lurking, yes. Engaging, no.

- I had some projects on deck that required some quiet time to process.

- I decided to focus on personal development vs. professional development in 2011-2012.

Stepping back, I was able to see a few changes in my immediate environment that tells me that our 5+ year discussions on performance vs. training / support systems vs. courses / mobility / networks are finally gaining critical mass.

 - Much of my time over the past year has been spent doing eLearning conversions. Admittedly - most of these conversions have been straight from PowerPoint. Still - getting my environment to even THINK about looking online for information is a HUGE step. One day - (maybe 5 years from now) - I can convince people to actually do something interesting / useful / educational with this technology.

 - My organization is starting to develop a mobile strategy. In the IT department, we are putting together the "Evil Mobile Troika" (myself, a network engineer and a systems engineer) in an attempt to get our hands around all of the devices and methods of distributing information. Again - another illustration of the importance of befriending really smart folks in IT.

 - More people in our organization are starting to use the support tools we set up vs. calling folks. Again, this is a huge cultural shift for us.

- Our vendors (particularly in the enterprise and LMS realms) are starting to offer mobile solutions. Some faster than others. Huge cultural shift forthcoming.....

- HTML5 (and the dying of Flash) is forcing me to re-think the way I have personally developed training over the past 10 years top-to-bottom. Systems, tools, design assumptions, everything.

I've been trying to do this as an evolutionary process. Time for a revolution!

Now that I've absorbed this need (change is scary) - I will be reaching out. Promise.

5 comments:

christytucker said...

Nice to have you back in the conversation. Congrats on making progress gradually shifting the culture there!

Christy Tucker said...

Nice to have you back in the conversation. Congrats on making progress gradually shifting the culture there!

Wendy Wickham said...

Trust me...the shift and any progress has been reeeeal gradual. Sometimes, I get impatient - but I look back to the way things were when I started and am astonished at the progress. It's only going to get faster from here :)

JessVEL said...

...as you say, things can be slow to evolve, Flash will be with us for some time to come, I feel!

Wendy Wickham said...

JessVEL - agreed that Flash will be with us for some time. This will help reduce the necessity of converting legacy material. But I am also staring at an environment in my own organization that is progressively becoming less supportive of that technology. I feel that staying ahead of the curve on this is going to reduce the amount of panicked rework later. YMMV. Thanks for the feedback.