Tuesday, June 15, 2010

So.....uh.....

Watching yourself teach on video is always educational.

Jon PCF, one of the coaches at my gym, recently filmed himself teaching olympic lifting.

I say 'right' a lot. So every time I say 'right', I have to do a burpee.

We counted 27 - not including the 3 that he did earlier in the class.

Personally, I would be happy if 'right' was my only verbal tic. I've found over the years that I replace one verbal tic with another (or 2 or 3).

Thankfully, half of my training these days is through online tutorials. Hooray for audio editing software!

I am in the process of creating a temporary video series for a project. This is an emergency stop-gap until I get the tidy interactive tutorials completed. Usually, I would do documentation and be done with it. This group wanted video.

Below is a demonstration of why I normally do not try to narrate while filming. (30 seconds should be enough to get the point across)



I be an edukayshen perfeshunul.
Do not try this at home.
And kudos to those who can film and talk at the same time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recommend you go full-screen/F11 on the browser. That way your students don't spend their time trying to figure out your bookmarks and other running programs....

Wendy said...

Didn't think to do that at the time of filming. This particular project series is "get 11 tutorials out the door as quickly as humanly possible - damn the quality." As a result - the only real edits are caption ads.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Jon M said...

You should make yourself to burpees if you say "umm" during one of your training sessions.

Wendy said...

You are probably right, Jon. Burpees in a skirt and heels would be highly entertaining. Maybe.