Thursday, September 10, 2009

My Sulking Control Freak

I spent this morning preparing for a training session. One where I am giving away administrative authority.

The control freak perched on my desk - sulking.

You NEVER listen to me anymore.

I listen to you - I just choose not to take your advice right now.

WHY are you doing this?

I need the help. I need the feedback. I need other eyes.

You know that you are creating more work for yourself. Other people always screw stuff up.

I dunno - I think this time I'm working with some good, competent people. Besides - it's good for me to work with others.

Uh huh.

The control freak gives me the "...and I'm supposed to believe THAT" expression as she drools on my desk.

I've worked with both of these people on other projects. One comes with more technical chops in her pinky than I have in my entire body. The other has a solid project management background and sound process mind. They haven't disappointed me.

Yet.

Listen, I KNOW this is different from our usual modus operandi. But I think this is really going to help BOTH of us in the long term.

Really - how is this going to help ME?

Well, you have been working really hard the past 35+ years. Besides, you've been an awesome motivator for me to learn new skills. I'd love to let you focus more on the learning side of the program.

Hmph....

The control freak folds her arms and makes a pointed effort to ignore me.
I know I hurt her feelings, but I also know this change needs to happen.

We have to learn to work with others. To trust that others will work with me. We have to learn how to build solid, productive relationships.

It's a change that has been a very long time coming.

And, this time, I'm optimistic that my trust is not misplaced. Whether the control freak believes this or not.....

1 comment:

Janet Clarey said...

Congratulations...what do they say - the first step in recovery is admitting the problem? Kudos and sulk no more.