Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Debating with Myself - and a result

I've been debating whether to take a long-term hiatus from the blog. For various reasons:

- Time - I've got some big projects, both personal and professional on deck from now until April 2010

- The feeling I don't really have anything new to add to the space that I haven't already said before. Maybe I'm afraid that I am doing the same thing over and over and haven't found the energy to get out of the rut.

- General social media burnout. Which may be related to the concern stated above.

- Work issues that are not appropriately discussed here. Don't worry - I still like my job most of the time and my employers still seem to like me. Just a hiccup that doesn't illustrate anything productive and has not resolved itself into a tidy lesson yet. So far, the only lesson I've gleaned from the experience is that I'm glad I'm not management.....

I seem to go through this funk after conferences. This time seemed worse than usual. Not entirely sure why.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

After fitfully sleeping on it, I realized that I haven't really documented a project since the Electronic Medical Record project.

Since the ASTD / Innovations in eLearning marathon, I've been involved in a major revamp of our web-site.

Maybe the web project didn't seem so interesting because communications across groups (content, developers, training, management, SMEs) have gone fairly smoothly. Despite some concerns by some of the stakeholders - the project has been well planned. Most importantly, the product itself is fairly user-friendly.

Training, for this project, really serves 3 purposes:
- To communicate information on the project (particularly governance and formatting) and discuss ways to work with the tool more effectively.
- To give people a safe and focused area to work with resources at hand for questions.
- To make the really nervous content providers more confident about their ability to finish the admittedly large task they have at hand.

The pilot went very well. I received some productive feedback on the material and clarification on the tool - both from a technical "best practice" perspective and from a functional "this is what they are up against" perspective.

The team is racing through some last minute configuration changes and builds. If all goes well - I will be spending this afternoon finalizing documentation and doing one final walk-through of both designed classes. a) to make sure I have an idea of what I am talking about and b) to make sure the system works. If all doesn't go well....I've got enough PowerPoint slides with screenshots to punt. ;')

I've always got the technology unga-bunga dance in my arsenal if it gets really ugly....

So over the next 2-3 weeks, I will be journaling the training for Vignette.

Should be fun....

2 comments:

Judy Unrein said...

Wendy,

I've recently found your blog and I've been catching up on past posts today. I hope you keep at it, even if you have to decrease in regularity to keep up with other demands... In all the social media hype, it's easy to lose sight of the main benefit that these technologies offer: connection. I don't know you personally, but I can certainly relate to your experiences in your Vignette training and I'm rooting for you! I'm also realizing that I've never handled these situations with the equanimity you seem to have...

As far as worrying about adding something new to the space... Yeah, I go through that with my own (newborn) blog... but you are adding something with your personal voice. And your conference notes were some of the few coherent ones I've seen. So there.

Hoping you keep at it.

- Judy

Wendy said...

Judy - thanks for the words of encouragement. Even after doing this for awhile, I still go through funks.

Ultimately, for me, the blog is a processing tool. It helps me document what seems to be working and what isn't. It helps me process new information - particularly as the industry struggles through a wrenching sea change.

Gonna go look at your blog now!
-