I didn't have internet in the room Scoble spoke in. And he didn't talk about Naked Conversations or Blogging anyway.
Entire conferences on blogging
Now entire conferences on blogging.
The act of putting a blog out there and using them – commonplace.
If you want to share your knowledge – blogger or wordpress is the best way to get high Google search.
Most people know Google search.
- That’s ALL they know.
- Don’t even know where solitaire is anymore
Showing tools – Real-time web
How blogging fits into Twitter world
Showed Twitter experiment video – Dr. Monica Raskin
[Scoble asked a question on friendfeed on teaching a leadership class– started to get answers almost instantaneously – this is the link to the response.]
He has 120,000 people following him!
Sometimes uses technique to bring audience into conversation having. They are watching cell phones. People are able to feed into conversation in real time.
- Can ask questions of whoever he is talking to in real time.
- That ability dramatically changes the interview, the interviewee, the audience
The collective had a LOT more knowledge and could ask the questions.
- Others can search on other things at the same time and ask
- Could drill the topic deeper.
- Scoble almost serving as a voice of the collective.
An example of automating the classroom.
- You have a network! People you interact with!
Even if you don’t have that many followers – you may get answers back simply because of searches on tweets!
He has 5 computers and high res – 2 feeds from twitter and friendfeed. Tweet deck.
SkyGrid (still invite-driven)– looking at the world’s financial news. Real time.
- Keeps rolling news stories
- Can also filter news in Live Time
- Help organize the feeds.
- The friends are bringing him the news. They are doing the filtering.
- Important to cultivate people who bring good content (uses friend feed because gets wider range of news)
He watches all of this information for things he would not have heard of before.
Looking at patterns.
- Looking for hot information
- Build filters so he can learn more.
Friend feed really is a search engine.
PeopleBrowsr – still really new – combining twitter facebook, friendfeed
- kinda like tweet deck
- trying to be lowest common denomimator
- Friend feed still more powerful
- But you can tag people!
Beginning to use Easly(?) (Firefox addon)
- uses feeds to present news important to me.
With all of these – if you don’t have friends, the news these things bring you is very generic
- If you spend time learning about what your friends bring you – they can customize it for you,
- More specific your friend-set, the better (or worse, depending on whether you want breadth or depth)
- Or 20 feeds – you should hand-choose with friends who talk about the same things.
Memeorandum (general news / politics)
- Noticing bloggers covering news
- Developed server where it goes through 2000 top news bloggers. Looking for patterns
- linking and blogging patterns
- Attempts to put in hierarchy based on past behavior.
- He also has Techmeme (technology)
- Can we regionalize these? Starting.
- Twitter – can search based on location. But not much metadata around the tweet. Know based on personal info – your speced location. Twitter may change this “per tweet” now global.
Important lessons from building network
- Write everyday
- Took time
- Put out there early and often. Just lots and lots of sharing (started way early with Usenet etc)
- Try to get access to things can’t get access to and share it.
- Try to share traffic with other people. Just clicking “Like” puts it in view of others. Sharing own audience.
- getting 1000 new people a week!
- Go to events, talk to a lot of people. Always reading when not with people.
Blogging world 2001-2005, will link to each other all the time.
- That’s how they operated
- Mainstream press – never ever link off property…..
Principles from retail – if sent customers away to other stores, will come back because honest and “authority on general marketplace”
Jessica Gross - Embracing the Twitter Classroom
- Images, video, links in a post tells person that they are
+ Generous with credit
+ Thinking about things
- Well written blog posts have lots of links
“Do you trust”
- Scoble – No.
- Journalism – editing before publishing.
- With twitter, friend feed, facebook – no editing
- Whenever don’t have disbelief on – burned. Misinformation passed around easily
How do you mitigate?
- Just using judgement
- You HAVE to filter. What are the 4 important questions. Not as if he is going in cold.
Disadvantage of media – you can’t tell who is who and what their role is in life.
You still have to do your own homework.
If you wait 24 (or even 1) hour, you will see things either line up and it becomes factual or non-factual.
- The feedback is almost instantaneous anymore…..
[ strikes me that his entire life is centered around processing people. Who they are, credibility levels, areas of expertise. Some of the questions – people are forgetting he’s been doing this for YEARS. Built the network over YEARS. Developed his personal filtering system over YEARS.]
Big news keeps coming back and getting repeated.
- and will keep popping up to the top.
[Scanning……constantly. Is looking for patterns of repetition.
He is also a very fast reader…..]
Twitter – can only see the haystack.
- can filter “5 likes or more” Will then get better selection of news. Signal/noise ratio improves.
- Can continue filtering.
Right now – still takes time to build the filters.
- Helps to have librarian skills
- in future, filters more automatic and done by the crowd itself.
- A higher level of “trending topics”
Solving problems – can put it in and get results.
- people will give different perspectives.
Revolution in education coming
- Kids are developing rich networks.
- Kids understanding they are only a few degrees away from people who may be in the thick of the issue or be experts on the issue.
The network as it grows out brings interesting people.
[ain’t that the truth]
Scobleizer – social media changing the way we learn
- Responses on friendfeed
Find your affinity group!
- Will help filter the information coming in.
He packages info and write and interview.
He is looking for patterns for general – search for specifics if he sees something.
He is looking to connect people
- Does it through clicking “Like”
Walking through his process
- Looking at names and remembering what they do if they know them
- Picture may catch his eye
- Topic may catch his eye
More sophisticated filters – centered around his knowledge of people.
- Person + keyword by knowing the expertise of the person
- Person – remembering that this person has cool stuff….
- Also filter away based on whether he knows it is written directly or by staff.
It’s just like studying data sets and looking for patterns.
- Same thing.
The people in our lives will be mixed with keywords.
- More we know about the people, better we can build the filters.
Retweet = favorite
- New users use favorite more often than older users.
- If someone puts up an interesting idea – it will come to the surface, retweeting, facebook.
- Then bloggers pick up idea.