Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Important Stuff I'm Learning on WoW

Yes - I DID just spend the entire President's Day holiday playing World of Warcraft.

I've managed to get Grisela, the Undead Mage, up to level 15 (as of this writing). After fits, starts, and much death. (Mages aren't the most robust creatures.)

Things I've learned that may potentially apply to work:

- I get a lot more done if I have a plan going into the session. I'll spend the first couple of minutes deciding which quests I feel like tackling. Look at the maps and monsters involved then go at it. It may take me a bit longer than I would like (because I'm a mage and spend time travelling between the graveyard and the corpse), but this system works better for me than just going out into the world and doing stuff at random. I'm leveling faster this way.

- Some groups are organic. Actually, the couple of 2 person groups I've found myself in have been the result of proximity rather than a result of any plan. We are both trying to kill the same monsters at the same time. Easier to go at it together. When we are done, we disband the group. Haven't figured out how to initiate one yet. This is one of the niggly details I am working on.

- If the first strategy doesn't work, try something else. Very important with mages since they are fragile. You can't just go up to a monster and wail away at them. Being more flexible with my gameplay has resulted in more success.

- The strategy changes based on the circumstance. A corollary to the previous item. It's too easy to apply the same strategy to a different circumstance and wonder why it doesn't work. For instance, a strategy used for loner-creatures will be quite different from a strategy used for monsters that love to gang up on you. Humanoids are notorious for this, BTW.

There will be more grouping in my future as I figure out the chat and group features of this program. Still amazed at the level and number of details in this game. I feel like I'm just now (2 weeks of serious gameplay in) getting comfortable with the interface and modifications.

---------------------------------------------
BTW - to the anonymous donor Paains, Grisela thanks you for the in-game gold and large bags.

5 comments:

Dave Ferguson said...

I haven't been in WoW (far too lazy for quests), but your experience reminds me of my early weeks in Second Life: lots of figuring things out, wandering around, eventually bumping into helpful others.

I've come to think that while some getting-up-to-speed resources are a good idea in general, many people (meaning "me") prefer to get starting on what seems like really doing something, rather than on in theory learning about how to get started.

The parallel with corporate training seems... at least possible.

Bryan said...

Its interesting to see the non-gamer analysis of WoW.

Also, right-click is your friend. Target a friendly player, right-click their portrait, and an entire menu shows up.

You can check out their gear, their talents, and invite them to a group. There are text commands, but lets start with the familiar right-click submenu you get on most software.

Anonymous said...

I recommend having a look at the Mage section of www.wowwiki.com, which has some very good tips on survivability.

Wendy said...

Dave - One of my coping mechanisms when I am nervous about doing something for the first time is to research as much as possible.
Eventually, one of my wiser friends tells me to stop being such a wienie and just do it.

WoW (and its attendant community) has developed ample resources to allow me to procrastinate / research until I am coerced into actually doing something.

Again - its that fear thing that we need to consider when teaching / training. What can we provide to make the widest audience feel as comfortable as possible.

Bryan - I knew right-click was powerful (though a tad awkward since I'm playing this on a Mac...I really need to get a new mouse....). Still getting a feel for where I can click. And still fine-tuning the interface. Lots of customization.

Anonymous - Pretty nice wiki. I encountered it earlier in some of my research. I've enjoyed Ten Ton Hammer and WoW Pro too.

I was one of those strange kids who enjoyed reading the DnD Players Handbook and Monster Manual more than playing the game....

Bryan said...

Hmmm, a Mac, wouldn't know how different the controls are, if at all.

Also, anyone's name you see in the chat log or combat log can be clicked on to start a private whisper to them. This is true with spells/abilities, gear, items, and even talents. You can "link" someone an item you need or have by starting a chat message and then Shift-clicking the item or ability in question.

The UI has had enhancement after enhancement for over 4 years. I got to learn all them one at a time, you get them all at once, I'm sure its overwhelming.

Also, I must be stranger than you because I've read the D&D guides, but never actually played the game!