Thursday, January 29, 2009

Gathering Input

As I mentioned in my last post, I am revamping the new user training program for our big enterprise system.

I've been thinking about this for awhile.

It may be better to come at the problem with a clean slate.
-------------------------------

I want 2 pieces of information from the stakeholders:

- What do they want the end-users to DO?
- What type of training support do they want/expect?

Sid (Remember her? She's my soft-skills counterpart.)helped me clarify the above questions.

So my next step is to ask those questions of the IT Enterprise folks and the Steering Committee folks.

Sid also recommended that I outline the options for the training support and list the pros and cons of each. I find myself a little torn by that recommendation. On the one hand, it will give the respondees some direction. But on the other, I'm afraid of shutting off other ideas.

Anything else you all think I should ask them?
Other ideas on how best to approach this?

2 comments:

Karyn Romeis said...

Clean slate is good. Start by defining the challenge and the goals. THEN look at what the solution(s) might be and how to deliver them. Knowing the solution without properly defining the problem is the Zone of Absurdity... and it's astonishing how many learning professionals are permanent residents of the zone. Because they've been doing a thing for a long time, they assume that they don't need to go back to square one at any point. I think they're wrong.

Wendy said...

Yup - and I've lived in the Zone of Absurdity for a long long time.

Time to step out.

At least in the professional part of my life.

Don't want to get too far away from home ;')