Sunday, December 28, 2008

Game 4: Pathwords


----------------------
Game: Pathwords
Platform: Facebook
Price: Free

Karyn Romeis is an evil enabler. There....I've said it on multiple platforms.

Is the game fun? Why? LOVE this game also. Make a path that equals a word. Combination of the find a word puzzle and tetris - two personal faves.

Wound up wasting an hour trying to get my score up. Because my friends are smarter than me. And, dangit, I want to be smart too!!!!

Do I want to play this repeatedly? Each segment is 5 minutes. Problem is....those 5 minute segments add up. And seeing that some friends have scores in the 4 digits is motivation for me to keep playing. 1 hour later, I am typing this (and still procrastinating from getting REAL work done).

What did I learn playing it? I have underestimated how motivating it is to play against other people. Even asynchronously. I am quietly practicing so that I can DOMINATE! Bwahahahahaha! (sadly, this may take me awhile.....)

What element(s) can I use when designing a game at work? I could incorporate the competition element into whatever I design. Show the scores of others. Create an unlimited "best score". Plus, build it so that if someone "games" the system, the effort they have expended still means something.

2 comments:

Karyn Romeis said...

MwahahaHAAA!

There was one trick I found that pushed my scores up quite quickly. Three-letter words are easy to spot, so rack up as many of those as you can, but, as you're doing so, keep your eye open for the opportunity to extend the word to 4 or 5 (or more) letters.

Also, you don't have to click on the individual letters. You can click on the first and then drag through the word, releasing on the last letter.

All that said, I have played a few challenge games against people who eat me up and spit me out, making my 1400 look like small fry indeed!

Wendy said...

oooooh....Must try......
Thus far, my best is only 520 (or something).

I'm only at work......