Friday, December 26, 2008

Game 2: World Series of Poker


From Midlet Review
-----------------------------
Game: World Series of Poker
Platform: LG Dare / Verizon Wireless
Cost: $8.99 unlimited (I've got an unlimited data plan, so I'm not paying data charges)


I've never been much of a card player. And watching poker on TV completely escapes me.

So why did I downlad this? Because I know that each hand takes only a couple of minutes, poker can be interrupted at any time between hands, and I needed something to do while I was on the train to work.

Plus, I'm trying to figure out why poker is so danged popular.

Is the game fun? Why? OK - not being much of a poker player, it is fun for what it is. There is some perverse thrill when you get a good hand, or when you manage to win a hand. It gets a bit dull when you are getting the snot kicked out of you or when you keep getting bad hands. I think what excites most poker players is the uncertainty of what will be in your hand next. Then - what will the river bring. Then, what does the other person have.

Do I want to play this repeatedly? I play this pretty regularly because it fits so darned well into my commute pattern. And I love the fact I can stop at any time.

What did I learn playing it? Well, I'm learning more about poker. Getting a stronger familiarity with the percentages between hands. I don't feel confident enough to try to translate any miniscule success I've achieved with WSOP mobile into a real game. Besides, I've already taken money from my brother playing poker during a party one year ago. :')

What element(s) can I use when designing a game at work? Big fan of the very short segments (hands). The ability to pick up and put down whenever. Also - simple, repeatable gameplay where the crux of the gameplay is in the important decisions. WSOP gives you control of the 2 important decisions - fold or play. If play - how much do you want to bet?

No comments: