Wednesday, November 19, 2008

So How Do You GRADE It?

In the comments to my last post, B.J. asks:

How can we officially say that Person A did everything correctly, and Person B failed. How do we create grading criteria for such loose concepts?


Man....I knew that Instructional Technology degree would help some day....

------------------------------------------------------

Grading Rubrics is one of the techniques we are given in Education school. Rubrics help objectify (to a certain point) subjective exercises (like writing, wiki participation, etc).

I haven't seen this technique used much in a corporate environment (at least, not in the corporate environments I've worked in), but it makes sense. An education version of some of the more thorough HR Job Evaluations.

I did some digging around and found a couple of examples for fun Web 2.0 activities (like Wiki participation).

Here's one example,from homemadetextbook,of a grading rubric for Wikis.

Lots of other examples of Wiki grading rubrics. Thanks Google!

Frenchteachers.org has a grading rubric for both Blogs and Podcasts. (PDF)

Once I get my own wiki started (sometime next year - I'll be using it as a support tool for my Captivate / LMS course series), I will see whether I can actually APPLY the grading rubric idea to my corporate environment.

If anyone is using something akin to grading rubrics in your corporate environment - can you pop me a comment and let me know? I'd love to share your experience!

No comments: