Thursday, November 06, 2008

Playing with Spiffy Widgets

Dr. Karrer was kind enough to think of me when he looked for volunteers for his new eLearning Learning widget.

By the way - I stand by my opinion that the gadget is "cool."

Because I have a killer command of the English language.

See...what Dr. Karrer DIDN'T tell you is that my top keyword is Help. As in, I need lots of.....

BTW - Cammy got her hands on the cool new widget too. She has sophisticated, professional keywords like "Instruction" and "Blog" and "Course" in her top 3. Welcome back to the fold, Cammy!
-------------------------------------------------------

I used the widget installation as an opportunity to update my Blogger template (long overdue). My old advice on how to change templates from March 2007 stands up nicely.

The only recommendation I would make is to make full use of the HTML gadget. This reduces the amount of time you need to spend in the hard-code. Screw up the code in the gadget, no big deal. Delete the gadget. Screw up the code in the template....ummmmmm.....you did save a text version of your original template, right?

This is what the layout tools in the new (to me, at least...the functionality has been there almost a year now) Blogger templates look like.



If I select an HTML gadget, I can just pop the old code into the gadget. MUCH easier to move it around than cutting and pasting code. I've pictured the code to my custom links below.



-----------------------------------------------------------------

If you are a feed reader junky, please come visit me and let me know what you think of the new look. And play with the widget, let Dr. Karrer and I know what you think.

1 comment:

Cammy Bean said...

Very sophisticated.

Thanks for thinking that, really.

Keyword help also used in help system, or "they need help"....