Tuesday, September 09, 2008

An SME Assessment

An example of a question on a quiz I received for conversion into our LMS.

Note: This project is a straight technical conversion. I take no responsibility for the content below.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Which of the OMB Circulars does this training concentrate on primarily?

A. A-133
B. A-21
C. A-121
D. A-110


How many of you said - And I care why?

Admittedly, this is a bit out of context, but unless I am expected to read these circulars (which, apparently, is not an objective of the training ... from what I can suss out), this question will result in students throwing things at the computer.

Another example:
Which role was not included in the training?

a. Primary Investigator
b. Chairs and Deans
c. Senior Management
d. Departmental administrative assistants
e. Office of the Chief Research Officer
f. Grants and Contracts Accounting Services

I don't know about you, but whenever I see a question like that, my first response is to ask - So why didn't you include it in the training?

The way I see it - there is one question to ask when developing the assessment for the training.

What do you want the student to DO.


If your assessment questions don't address that - don't waste their time.

No comments: