Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Second Life type Tools - Lively


I still don't have a real purpose for Second Life yet. But I'm getting asked more questions about it.

Interestingly, as soon as I sent my boss an invite to meander through Second Life with me, my feed reader explodes with stuff on Lively, Google's Second Life style ap.

There are a couple of features I like right off the bat.
- I can build my own rooms and make them public or private.

- Rooms are easy to navigate to. Of course, this could be good or bad. I notice that despite Google's terms trying to discourage virtual sex, there are already 3 or 4 rooms at least dedicated to that. On the first page of the search. Sorted by occupancy. Figures.

- The avatars are pretty cool. How do you like my evil kitty?

- We can use meaningful names for our avatars.

- I can embed the room into my web page (or blog). BTW - that thing in the corner is a sake vat. You never know when you might need one.



I can see this being a useful space for virtual meetings. Or for a virtual "orientation" space. The download executed quickly and does not seem to take nearly as much memory as the Second Life download. Navigation is also more intuitive than second life (though I'll admit I haven't moved around much.)

They haven't opened up for user-generated content yet, though I can add items I've uploaded to YouTube and Picassa.

Let me know if you want to come experiment with me.

No comments: