Friday, May 30, 2008

Making People Happy

On Wednesday, I received a phone call from one of our professors.

Professor: You are the 6th person I've talked to and I can't find a Dreamweaver course and the person who is supposed to be teaching the Dreamweaver course isn't in and I really need to learn Dreamweaver this week for a project that I'm doing for my summer students.

Me: You have a couple of minutes? I can show you something.

Professor: OK.

Me: You at a computer?

Professor: Yes.

I have the professor log in and navigate to the new LMS that has great content but still doesn't have all of the courses organized or people in tidy little groups. Many committee meetings (committee still TBD) and some manual keyboard/mouse labor will be involved before that happens. I'm thinking - 2 years....

I show her how to find the Dreamweaver course (mostly because I wasn't entirely sure those courses were in there), how to find other courses, and how to add stuff to her personal learning plan for easy access.

Professor: This is great!!!! Why isn't you or your help desk telling people about this!!! I WANTED an online course! Now I can do this on my own time! You are the first person who helped me! Thank you so much!!!!! (Yes - she did yell on the phone.)

Me: I know it's not fully implemented, but the courses are there. Feel free to tell people.

Professor: Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

We are already getting a shocking amount of activity for a feature that is getting absolutely no advertising outside of my little bit of guerrilla marketing. Let's see how far we can take this....

5 comments:

bruna said...

I know how you feel. About two years ago we installed Moodle. Before we formally rolled it out, it was hit. One of the first teacher/coach to jumped onto the Moodle train was our football coach. The Moodle train has been going full speed ever since.

This is a great example for the quote, "If you build it, they will come." We built it, they came. And we are all happy especially our students!!

Wendy said...

Bruna - big big fan of Moodle. I miss it every day I work with the LMS my current employer uses.

I think we underestimate the power of word of mouth, especially when it comes to our eLearning projects.

Karyn Romeis said...

This is such a great story. It reminds me of my subversive introduction of elearning at my last company. I'm sure I've told you the story before, but it's so great when people grab hold of the fishing rod (as opposed to the fish) and dash off like little kids to go catch something new!

Wendy said...

Hate it even more when they then grab the fish and beat it into submission - then wonder why it doesn't taste good later.

Thankfully - I think the folks I work with now have it all figured out.

Karyn Romeis said...

Neat extension of the analogy, Wendy!