Thursday, March 13, 2008

So What IS My Scope of Responsibility?

I feel particularly unqualified to answer this month's Big Question.

Why? 1) Past experience. 2) Life in Flux.

I'm going to write this in hopes of getting more personal clarity. That's why I blog anyway.....

One of the things I continue to find fasciating about education as a profession is that we continue to ask ourselves what the scope of our jobs are. How responsible SHOULD we be for other's learning? What ARE we supposed to be DOING?

I don't know about the rest of you - but I still struggle with wanting to help/control what the learner should know and keeping my hands off.

Maybe serving as the outside eye and suggesting better ways to communicate ideas is the best way to go. The learner needs an advocate, right? And it's not necessarily about the technologies of delivery. You use whatever best fits the situation. It's more being willing to ask - "Does this make sense? Will I remember it tomorrow?"

The subject matter experts WANT the control over how "training" happens and what it looks like. I figure if I'm educated enough on what's out there and can serve as the "fool," the folks who need/want the education get what they need in the most efficient way possible.

And isn't that what we are all after?

2 comments:

Philip Hutchison said...

i totally understand where you're coming from.

it seems like whenever i feel like i've finally worked out 'the best' learning solution for our department, i have some revelation (usually triggered by external events, like someone else's blog posts) that makes me stop and think "wait a minute, what if we did it this way instead?!"

it's a never-ending search for perfection, and frankly, that's what keeps it interesting (for me, anyway). :)

Wendy said...

Me too.

I've been calling that the "evaluation phase". The risk, of course, is never getting anything off your plate :)