Thursday, January 03, 2008

My Crystal Ball is Fuzzy

Mad respect for those who can get their heads around trends in eLearning and predict what 2008 will bring.

I suspect my lack of forward vision is directly related to the major changes that have occurred in my career recently. Tough to predict the future when you are not entirely certain what is going on in the present.

I'm still seeing noise about community, social applications, visual thinking and games. Still seeing lots of navel gazing about definitions (web 2.0, 3.0, community) and what to do next.

I don't have the mental bandwidth to contribute to those conversations right now. I'm still trying to figure out how to log into the applications I'm responsible for and where I can wash out my tupperware without decimating the bathroom sink (no sink in the "kitchen" at work).

I reckon the only thing I can do to contribute is individual action. Continue my somewhat unscientific and haphazard attempts to build learning thingies that work - ideally for the learner. Keep learning about all the new and spiffy tools (both material and intellectual) out there and play with them to see if they serve a need. Participate in the wide world of the educational blogosphere and, hopefully, increase my real-life participation. And share what I discover along the way.

It's really no different from what I did last year. But it led to some amazing places - I figure I ought to stay on the path to see what's next.

No comments: