Thursday, January 17, 2008

Because Dr. Karrer Wants to Know.....

I'm going to cite Seth Godin's thoughts on the matter as I embarrassingly bare my Google Analytics to you all.





Oh - and I have 29 known subscribers. To my knowledge - none of the subscribers are family. And because of some directions I gave a long time ago - I suspect at least one other subscriber isn't counted (Hi Paul - miss your blog!!!)

I'll admit to not being very good (OK - I'm absolutely HORRIBLE) about collecting site metrics. I never redirected my feed to feedburner. Haven't collected any other metric tools. Haven't marketed the blog. Write posts sporatically. All of the DON'Ts of professional blogging.

One of my cousins read the blog once. His exact words - "Your blog is really interesting Wendy." Too bad mere text does not express sarcasm very well...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update:

Wendy, I think you have a lot more subscribers than 29. Did you mistype that maybe? Google Reader shows 289 subscribers for your Feedburner feed, plus an additional 31 for your blogspot feed. I see another 32 subscribers in Bloglines. I'm sure you have some other feed readers too, so you probably have between 350 and 400 subscribers.
- Christy Tucker


Nope - I didn't mistype that. That was the # I received from Feedburner. It's still 20 more than I expected.

Hey Christy! Can you do those of us who are lousy at keeping track of our statistics a favor and write something on how to find and keep track of our statistics. That would be an AWESOME post. I might even be motivated to do something about my lousy record-keeping. And this way, we may have a fighting chance of giving Dr. Karrer better numbers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update to the update:

Hey Wendy, I'm an idiot. You do have probably about 60 subscribers, but I misread and counted another feed when I was looking at my Google results earlier. I feel so sorry--300 really seemed like a much more reasonable number of subscribers to me. Does it make up for my ineptitude at all that I think your blog is so wonderful that I just assumed you had several hundred subscribers?

I'm doing a post now to explain how I'm finding the numbers. At least I know why the numbers were so far off now.

Again, sorry for being so far off on this!


Christy - absolutely no apology needed! Even with the compliment. I actually found your original numbers both shocking and frightening. My first thought when I read your original comment - "Oh S*#%, I need to learn how to write!"

60 subscribers is still 50 more than I would have anticipated.

I'm really looking forward to your post and thank you for not freaking out as I make our comment conversation public.

Besides - these types of conversations, with cool people in the field, are one of the primary benefits of blogging. One I never considered when I started this 17 months ago.

10 comments:

christytucker said...

Wendy, I think you have a lot more subscribers than 29. Did you mistype that maybe? Google Reader shows 289 subscribers for your Feedburner feed, plus an additional 31 for your blogspot feed. I see another 32 subscribers in Bloglines. I'm sure you have some other feed readers too, so you probably have between 350 and 400 subscribers.

Lee Kraus said...

Hey. Don't talk it down so much Wendy, your stats are about the same as mine and I have been blogging for over 3 years. ;)

Wendy said...

Christy - Dang! I'm so happy that you are smarter at tracking readership than I am!

No - I didn't mistype it - that's what Feedburner told me. 29. Which is at least 20 more folks than I expected.

Wendy said...

Lee - yeah, but you also have 5 blogs! I can barely keep up with my 1.

BTW - great stuff. Add one more subscriber!

Tony Karrer said...

Thanks for posting this information. It's been interesting to see that lots of folks have similar looking stats that may vary in volume, but I'm noticing less difference in terms of other numbers.

Wendy said...

Dr. Karrer - looking forward to the analysis on this one. The next question - how many people are actually TRYING to drive traffic and are you seeing a difference in numbers from those who are driving traffic vs. those who are blogging for personal reasons (eg. therapy) :')

christytucker said...

Hey Wendy, I'm an idiot. You do have probably about 60 subscribers, but I misread and counted another feed when I was looking at my Google results earlier. I feel so sorry--300 really seemed like a much more reasonable number of subscribers to me. Does it make up for my ineptitude at all that I think your blog is so wonderful that I just assumed you had several hundred subscribers?

I'm doing a post now to explain how I'm finding the numbers. At least I know why the numbers were so far off now.

Again, sorry for being so far off on this!

Wendy said...

Actually - the 60 number sounded more reasonable to ME.

I'd expect someone like Dr. Karrer or Brent to have 300 - 400 subscribers.

Still - that post is going to be real handy. Can't wait to read it.

Paul Fender said...

I tried to leave a comment yesterday... did it not stick?

Wendy said...

Paul - looks like your original comment never made it to me.

Sorry about that.

Still miss your voice on the blogs!