Friday, December 28, 2007

"One Day"

Every kid wants to be a rock star one day, in whatever industry she chooses to call her own.

One day I'll be a filmmaker! One day I'll be a famous artist! One day I'll be a CEO! One day I'll be a Creative Director! One day I'll be a Venture Capitalist! And so forth.

Then you get to a certain age and you realize that the time for "One Day" is over. You're either doing it, or you're not. And if you're not, a feeling of bitter disappointment starts hitting you deep into the marrow. Which explains why we all know so many people in their 30s and 40s having mid-life crisis'.

The other day, someone fifteen years younger than me asked me what I wanted to be "One Day".

I answered, "Doing exactly what I'm doing now, just with more money. And if the money doesn't come, well, that's a shame, but it's not the end of the world, either."

No more dreaming of "One Day". I am here and now. This is it. I can highly recommend it. But I had to kill a lot of dreams, a lot of beautiful dreams, in order to get there.

- Hugh MacLeod


I've been thinking about this a lot since Hugh's post showed up in my feed reader, especially as we get closer to the new year.

I may not be a rock star in my chosen area of expression - more like an indie artist. And it's taken a lot of dream-killing to get here.

Maybe it's that inner knowing - if this is all there is, it's OK - that we are ultimately seeking.

I'm off to Myrtle Beach to reflect, hang with friends and play mini-golf.

May you have a successful and happy 2008!

No comments: