Thursday, December 27, 2007

How to Get Me to Do Your (Professional) Bidding

Thank you for all of your help with the project. I'll take a closer look at the module today or on 12/26, and particularly look at #s 3 and 19. If need be, we can always aim to get other images in place for those slides, if it's not too much trouble for you.

Have a great long weekend, and happy holidays to you and your family.
It's great to have you on board...!



Actual e-mail received last week from the Director of Student Affairs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this man does not know how to write the nicest e-mail....

Why am I so smitten?

1) He gave me dates to expect when he is going to complete his review. (BTW - he did exactly what he said he was going to do on the dates that he gave me - early morning, even.)

2) He obviously paid attention to my questions / concerns. The usual response I've received in the past has been either stony silence or, if I'm lucky, vague direction. This time, I am confident I will get a real solution driven by the person who should be driving the project rather than me guessing and praying that I'm right.

3) He is taking responsibility for the things he (or one of his people) should be responsible for. For example, he's the one finding the pictures he wants in the tutorial to represent his organization. I could do it, but he's taken this upon himself - something I wish I would see more often.

Though it's not in this letter, he's also been working with me to figure out ways to most easily transmit those images and information in a way that makes it easy for me to incorporate into the project and that is easy for him to post. (I heart Google Pages). Win/win. And we are both noticing that the project is moving much faster as a result.

4) He asks me if it's too much trouble! (Wow! Someone who actually respects the amount of work online tutorials take! I'm trying to remember the last time I saw that....)

5) He actually THANKED ME!!!!!

And I know he means it! He took the time to type 2 custom sentences thanking me and making me feel welcome!!!!

It's not "Thank you though I don't mean it and want you to do lots of stuff for me that I needed yesterday and oh by the way I have lots of complaints about the stuff you haven't done for me because you couldn't read my mind and complaints about the stuff you did do because you couldn't read my mind....."

or "I'm thanking you because it is an automatic part of my signature line so that you think I care about your feelings."

Even if I hadn't met the man in person before (and I have), count me impressed.

Can you imagine if EVERYONE worked this way!?! Think about what we could accomplish (and how much lower our blood pressure would be)!

No comments: