Friday, December 14, 2007

Blogging and the New Job

I find that new jobs offer an opportunity to start fresh and learn new things - both professionally and personally. As I've gotten older, I'm realizing how important sussing out the culture of a place really is. I'm really lucky that my co-workers have proven to be willing and candid guides in this new environment.

Of course, this time, I've also made more of a point to ask questions BEFORE acting. Something I was not conscious enough to do in my previous jobs.

On the first full day - I asked my co-workers about my blogging.

You're not going to say anything bad about us, are you?

Only anonymously - and I will talk to you first. I don't want you being surprised by anything I say in the blog. It was a courtesy I made in my last job and I had no intention of changing that policy.

We can live with that.

I know my co-workers read this blog (Hi Guys!), so that makes these discussions important.

The main reason why I got the job was because of this blog. They are fully aware of my usual subject matter and I wanted to make sure that I could continue talking about projects. I think that sharing both the good and bad of a project is incredibly valuable. I do this for myself (mostly as a form of therapy), but it seems to help my 5 readers as well (Thanks Janet for pointing this out!).

I still speak for myself and only myself in this blog. Besides, I would much rather talk about my personal foibles than expose others. Strikes me as the right thing to do (even if it is a tad bit foolhardy), especially when speaking in public.

I am still in the process of getting comfortable in the new job. So far so good.

No comments: