Friday, October 26, 2007

1 day I'll come up with a great title for this post

It's amazing what happens when you are not forced to think or do for an extended period of time.

1) It's really impacted my ability to come up with pithy post titles. I see myself being reduced to "Today's Post" for my next few postings (whenever those might happen...)

2) I think I inadvertently helped Dr. Karrer with his presentation. KNOCK 'EM DEAD TONY!!!!! Can't wait to hear how this goes....

3) You have more time to truly process the information and events surrounding you - and take in any feedback. Case in point, my blogging conversation with Tom Haskins about reflection and work. BTW Tom - I'm still processing....

4) The Freudian slips that occur when you are having a hard time developing coherent thoughts turn out to be valuable. Even better, people who are thinking more clearly (i.e. Tom Haskins ) can then take those ideas and run with them.

5) I'm re-discovering that illness serves a purpose. I'm going to quote Tom because he's more eloquent than I ever hope to be....

For years, I've noticed myself creating a "mandatory timeout" via illness when I was stressed out, incapable of reflecting, and caught up in too much action. A two week convalescence is a superb break from the action. Given the clarity, depth and expanse of Wendy's insights here, I'd say the hidden purpose of her case of shingles is getting well served. When we've been acting like human doings, we all need time to feel like human beings again.

It's almost easier to relax when your body FORCES you to than when you do so voluntarily. I find that if I feel even remotely capable of doing, I go do. Even if I plan a 2 week relaxation time (no illness), I still feel obligated to "be productive." Guilt, self-esteem issues, fear or whatever makes it difficult for me to truly relax when I am "well" and "on vacation."

It's taken me a few days, but I am slowly rediscovering what "relaxing" feels like. And, from the feedback I'm getting, it has been inadvertently productive. Whether this sort of productivity is going to help my co-workers (who I'm sure would have been much happier if I was there answering phone calls from frustrated doctors) remains to be seen.

Come to think of it, I'm not entirely sure why it matters.......

6) I discover new things to play with. Some cases in point:

Drunk Elephants. 'Nuff said....

The World Series.
I'm sure I have the quote wrong, but I like what Bob Apodaca (the Colorado Rockies pitching coach) said to his talented rookie Ubaldo Jimenez:
Pitch to Contact

Essentially - trust the team behind you. Your stuff is good enough to beat anyone and everyone else will help.

That's exactly what Josh Beckett (Boston Red Sox Ace Pitcher) did when he pitched that brilliant game in Game 1. A perfect example of what a very talented person can accomplish when he trusts the team behind him.

And an entire season of playing together built that trust..... NOT weird team-building games....

The Arlington VA Library online catalog.
Finding stuff in ACORN is about as much fun as browsing the stacks. And browsing library and book store stacks is one of my favorite things to do - so that's saying lots....

7) I find I have way too much time to babble in public (also known as "evidence of reflective thinking" hahahahahahaha.......)

No comments: