Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Motivational Problems

I have an admission to make....

It's getting harder for me to come up with interesting blog posts. From what I can tell, there are a number of reasons for this.

1) I'm having a hard time coming up with uninterrupted time. I spend most of my time on help desk calls these days. As soon as I get any sort of flow going, another help desk call comes in. I'm not going to outline why this is the case Read my past blog posts on the EHR upgrade project from April / May. Let's just say the chickens are coming home to roost..... And it's depressing enough that I REALLY don't want to write about it. Besides, saying "I told you so" is just not that satisfying when you have to live with the results every day....

2) Because of the system instability, a number of projects have either been put on hold until we get things stable. After 5 years of very intensive work, my work life has finally slowed somewhat. I've been working on embracing this new rhythm. I'm making it a point NOT to get involved in every little thing. I've been go go go for so long, that it had to crash at some point. I'm still getting stuff done, but for the first time in years - I'm not being pressured.

Work has also partially slowed down by circumstance. The person I have been forced to keep on my eLearning project has stopped doing her piece of the work in a timely manner. All stuff she could get done in 3 hours at most. I had to wait a month and a half for the first small thing I asked her to do. Admittedly she's busy, but I'm now having to sic the boss on her every few weeks, since it's not my job to be her enforcer. And so, I wait and busy myself with strange little experiments. Maybe I'll talk about those in my next few blog posts.....

3) Because it's been slow, I'm finally getting the opportunity to look at things OTHER than education/technology/eLearning/computers. This is really important because I fear I am becoming something of a one-trick pony. I can only do that for so long before I become depressed. There is so much neat stuff out there in the real world and I don't want to be one of those people whose life is spent in front of the computer. Bad enough I spend 60+ hours a week on the thing. I want to use more senses than just the site of the monitor, the touch of the keyboard, and the clickety clack of fingers on buttons

4) Life circumstances are also encouraging me to spend more time with my real world friends and family. It's incredibly important for me to re-establish balance in that portion of my life. Thankfully, the change of attitude is a result of positive events rather than the usual motivators of death and illness.

I am blessed with such great real world friends, a loving family, a fantastic boyfriend, and an incredibly supportive virtual community.

These people remind me that, in the long term, it is the person to person relationships that make life important, not necessarily our "accomplishments."

1 comment:

Tony Karrer said...

"OTHER than education/technology/eLearning/computers"

Hold it! What else is there?

Hopefully, you'll find inspiration soon. Actually, you might try helping BJ with his recent issues.