Monday, August 27, 2007

Throwing Sheep


My great Facebook experiment continues.....

I am starting to notice the same phenomenon that Karyn sees in her Web 2.0 participation...the bleeding between one's professional and personal life. In my case, the bleeding went the opposite direction. What started as a professional Facebook profile is slowly being invaded by my real-life friends and acquaintances.

I am also seeing more weird tools and gadgets being sent my direction, shockingly by my professional friends - most recently, SuperPoke.

For instance - I sent Karyn a beer. Not a real beer (sadly), but it's better than "poking."

I also threw some sheep at some friends. If you've ever played "Worms" (think battleship with little cute pink worms with british accents), you will understand the reference.... I've included a picture of the game below to jog your memory.



Of course, none of this is very "professional." But with the blurring of the borders between professional and personal lives, do you think we are looking at greater acceptance of each other's humanity, or is all of this sheep-throwing more evidence that can be used against me in a professional environment?

--------------------------------------------------------

Sheep picture http://www.real-food.com/

Worms screenshot from www.codinghorror.com

3 comments:

Karyn Romeis said...

I hope it's the former, Wendy, or I'm in deep trouble with all the invitations I have accepted from my sons! For them it's important to rise up the rankings as a ninja and a werewolf and a top friend and and and.

And what kind of mother would I be if I rejected all their invitations because my profile might be discovered by someone who might consider offering me a job?

One thing I have found quite fun is that Dean Shareski and I have been twittering about the scrabulous game we're playing via facebook... it's been going on for several days, now!

Cammy Bean said...

I've had the same experience with Facebook: what started out as completely professional has been invaded by the personal.

As to throwing sheep at each other: I think it's a bit like throwing a kush-ball over the cube wall at your co-worker. The difference is we're in a virtual cube farm out here....

Wendy said...

As a measure of my learning - I am now Throwing Chickens!!!

I have found that throwing livestock (and I guess in the days of farmed salmon, fish is livestock too) is the best use for facebook.

That and inviting my past to come back to haunt me :' )