Thursday, August 16, 2007

RIP - Old Laptop

I am going to admit I did something very very stupid. I managed to download a virus from my e-mail. One so nasty it ate my TCP-IP and attached itself to many of my files.

The best PC doctors I have access to (thanks for all of your efforts Matt!) couldn't fix it.

I've been having problems with the old girl for some time now. The sound card didn't record sound. The processor regularly ground to a halt as I compiled my projects. I had ghosts of uninstalled and trial applications. She kept me good company - but it was time to let go.

So I got a Mac Book Pro.

With the amount of multimedia I find myself doing - I was getting tired of jury-rigging movies and pictures using multiple bits of software. Tired of using a Phillips Head screwdriver (my PC) on a standard screw (my projects).

It was time.

The old girl is in the Dell Hospital (thankfully - she's still under warranty). She's been my companion through illness and travel. Helped me find information and a community of like-minded people I couldn't even dream of. If the nice Dell people get her working again, I will use her for Captivate (at least until Adobe comes out with a Mac version), the EHR, and little else.

May she rest in peace.

I have lots of stuff to talk about during my time away. Right now, me and my new companion are going to spend quality time getting to know each other.....

No comments: