Friday, July 06, 2007

Pleasing Multiple Audiences

Tony Karrer, in his comments to Conflicting Trends asked me to lay out the multiple audiences I am supposed to please with the online training I am developing.

I hope this exercise helps me because I am becoming overwhelmed with conflicting needs and lack of time (again) to do what needs to be done.

Stakeholder Group 1: Existing users within my organization who have suffered through the upgrade and are having issues with parts of the product.

These people are looking for quick how-tos to perform simple tasks. They are not looking for complicated tutorials - or even a movie. The preference for this group of stakeholders is not movies or documents but a human being (me) shadowing them for the entire day and ready to leap at their command. 1 of me - 2000 of them.

You can see why I am trying to build materials for them. Especially since our attempts to train "advisors" (to use Tom Haskins' word) has turned into 63 people who know how to give the other 1934 people my contact information and not much else....

Tony's right to point out that my comment "people who use online reference are not in it to think" is not particularly fair (though I did pull that quote directly from a member of this stakeholder group and I've been feeling really cynical). They are just looking for the fastest, best solution to a problem. No more, no less.

Unfortunately, because of the needs of the other stakeholder groups, I'm not able to get to the topics they are interested in quite yet....

Stakeholder Group 2: Resident, Fellow and Med Student Training

This time every year we have a new batch of residents and med students. With a few exceptions this year, I have been able to get everyone through the face-to-face portion of the exercise (though this requirement is more to make the attendings feel better than anything useful for the residents). These folks then scatter to their various sites and return months later having forgotten everything we told them.

The training for this audience needs to be comprehensive to their current workflow. Research, Documentation and, for some, Order Entry. The organization is working to make the resident workflows and expectations consistent across all attendings and departments. Until that happens, I have to somehow build modules that I can easily customize for each group. Somehow....

Stakeholder Group 3: New User Training (staff)

The CEO really wants us to develop a comprehensive online training program for the staff. He feels that this will make the training more consistent across the board and give us access to reports to see how well the training works. I'm with him on this one. The rest of the organization, however, is not. The management team (and the employees) beneath him feel that there has to be "human contact" and a classroom experience for real learning to occur.

There is also the lack of standardization issue across departments (even across individual providers) that makes developing a comprehensive online training program challenging at best.

Stakeholder Group 4: The CIO

The CIO has visions of making the IT Department a profit-producing part of our health care organization. Not just a department that sucks up money as administrative cost. To that end, he has started selling our services to outside groups. Computer and network administration, application access, etc. With the same 15 people he started with.......but that's another story I don't want to get into right now....

One of the services he wants to sell to outside groups are the training tutorials that I have been building. I currently have a deadline of August 1 to develop at least 1 bug-free set of comprehensive tutorials that another organization can use for their own upgrade training.

Because he wants to sell this to outside groups, the tutorials have to be very generic. A tricky proposition since the application covered by the tutorials is incredibly customizable. To the point that the end-user can make the application behave as he or she sees fit.

I've been basing the tutorials on what our organization has set up by necessity. However, I can see that these tutorials can only be used short-term. Then the organization who purchases these tutorials will have to create their own materials to match their configuration and processes. Hmmmm.......

Stakeholder Group 4a: The outside organization who uses an earlier version of the application.

These tutorials have to be geared towards how to adapt what currently exists to the new system. Lots of information about how familiar parts of the program change in the context of a standard workflow (such as documenting a patient visit)

Stakeholder Group 4b: The outside organization who is going live on an EHR with this version.

I could probably crib materials from the Resident and New User trainings for this. But the modules have to be smaller and the workflows more customizable by the end user....
----------------------------------------------------
Right now, I've been trying to design these tutorials so that the end-user/student can create their own path through the modules. I have a series of Visio flowsheets hanging on my wall for defining which tutorials need development, how small the chunks should be, and navigation options.

Sadly, I find myself so focused on building the individual tutorials right now that I am having a hard time seeing how the whole will be educational....

No comments: