Saturday, July 07, 2007

Another Way to Look at the Issue

In his comments to Conflicting Trends - Tom Haskins has reminded me of something that I rail about and yet have forgotten in the thick of battle:

Learners may demonstrate more buy-in if the tools are assembled into a customized combination or personalized sequence of tools that puts a spin on the resources: "we care about you", "you are more important than the tools to us" or "we're responding to your unique needs".

It's so easy to make the tools more important than the people. Partially because you have more control over the tools you develop than the people who use them. Partially because tool development provides more concrete evidence that you have accomplished something.

Tom also points out that the tools I am developing are external to the learner's needs.

If the learners had to first come up with a question, problem or need "from inside", then their request would answered in a very different context from getting reminded to use available tools.

This is when I wish I had the technical chops to come up with a solution within the applications I am working with.

I saw an interesting model for this within the GE Centricity (formerly IDX) Flowcast 4.0 upgrade. Centricity is a common enterprise healthcare business application that handles scheduling and financial functions.

In this product, the designers have put workflow reminders beside the workspace. The end-user can follow the steps and links to the appropriate pages to complete each task. From what I've heard from the sales folks, the organization has control over the content of these workflow reminders: what should go in each field, where you should look on the insurance card, exception processes, decision assistance, etc.

If this thing works as it sounds like it does, it is a HUGE step towards a comprehensive, internal performance support solution. And something I wish I had access to in the electronic medical record I work with. It would make all of these tutorials I'm building a moot point....

And that's what training is all about, isn't it? Helping our students improve using whatever means possible....

No comments: