Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Xbox v. Wii - Tiger Woods



Don't do this with the Wii remote.....

Picture from Golf.com - instructor Tim Mahoney and his proper backswing.
___________________________

This weekend, I introduced my Xbox fanboys to Tiger Woods on the Wii.

A few observations:

- The graphics on Tiger Woods 2007 Wii version are similar to to Tiger Woods 2006 on the Xbox (NOT the 360). The fanboys did not understand what the hoopla about graphics was all about.

- Since they had mastered the Xbox Tiger Woods - they found getting used to the swing style on the Wii both frustrating and fascinating. One of the fanboys fired up the Wii while the boyfriend and I were out in an attempt to master it before either of us did. Again - thank goodness for reporting. These people think I don't know how to find audit trails....

- Don't try to use a real "full swing" on the Wii. If you do a real full golf swing - the motion sensor thinks you are ready to hit the ball because it senses the top of the Wii remote. You also have to move a bit slower than you might with a real golf swing in order for the swing to register correctly. We found a variation of a half-swing (like a pitch) was most useful for full power.

- We still haven't quite figured out how to adjust the spin of the ball. We think it has to do with hitting the directional keys and shaking the remote while the ball is in flight.

- Though the putting seems a bit flaky - to us it seemed successfully simulate the difficulty of real putting. The Xbox allows you to cheat a bit more since you are only using your thumb to control the putter rather than the whole body. Putting in the Wii is more sensitive.

- I found that playing Tiger Woods on the Wii did a number on my real golf game. Which is saying something since I am a terrible golfer to begin with..... I had hoped that my swing would improve since the Wii has you mimicking the motions. That's true, to a certain extent. Since a successful Tiger Woods Wii stroke is more like a pitch, and the putting is comparable to real life, I found that my pitching and putting improved. Sadly, my full swing is now a shambles. Just when I was starting to get close to 200 yard drives and 1 stroke away from greens in regulation....

The Xbox fanboys didn't WANT to like the Wii. They especially did not want to like Tiger Woods on the Wii. Yet the next day they called me...

Hey Wendy....can we play with your new toy again?

3 comments:

Imanuel said...

Thank you for your information...

Anonymous said...

Yeah... I just got the game and played for the weekend. I am a 4 handicap and I shot a 93 on Monday. Completely F'ed my swing up. I'm going to keep playing, but using the sitting down controls.

Wendy said...

One of the other things I've discovered as I played it more is that the motion control disintegrates as you play the 18 holes. By the 12th hole - it's tough to get the game to register correctly.

Postscript - the boys gave up on the Wii and have gone back to the Xbox version of this game.