Thursday, June 07, 2007

The New Toy

As a reward to myself for surviving the major upgrade - and not killing anyone or getting myself fired in the process - I finally got myself the Nintendo Wii.

(Santa came through late).

First impressions

- This thing is a lot smaller than I thought it would be. Understand - my last gaming console (actually - my only gaming console) was the Atari 2600. I've probably just dated myself.....

- First game I tried: Wii Sports Tennis. It helps to be somewhat familiar with the motions of real tennis (especially serving). If you think along those lines - it's easier to play. Just like in real tennis - I have a tough time switching from forehand to backhand.

- Second game I tried: Wii Sports Bowling. I am better at this than I am at real bowling. I suspect that's because the Wii remote is only 4.85 oz (yes, I'm a geek, I weighed it) vs. the bowling ball's 11 lbs. Much easier on my gimpy wrists...

- Third game: Wii Sports Baseball. I suck at this.

- In all of these games - I was amazed at how similar and natural the motions were. After a little trial and error, I figured out how to use the remote for each of the games. The instructions throughout the games help. Now if I only had better hand/eye coordination....

- I was also very impressed by the judicious use of rumble. It's real subtle - but you get a touch cue when you are firmly on a button or acting on a ball.

- The remote is much easier to use than I expected. Just a few buttons. Once you figure out what each button does, they are easy to locate during the course of the game. Nintendo put an amazing amount of thought into the ergonomics of their controls.

- the Miis (your avatars in the Wii) remind me of a combination of Playmobile people and Weebles. Especially when they lose their legs....

- this is a damn cool toy!!!!

I'm going to be doing lots of "learning research" with this toy (hahaha) over the next few weeks.

4 comments:

Cammy Bean said...

Welcome to the great new time suck! I've been playing Zelda: Twilight Princess. Amazing graphics. Love the physicality of it. Karl Kapp highly recommends Trauma Center -- given your field, that should be your next purchase! Have a wii-filled weekend. Pray for rain.

Wendy said...

Trauma Center has already been purchased. Along with Tiger Woods golf and Wario Ware Smooth Moves.

And you are absolutely right - I wound up playing at least 2 more hours after posting.....

And I still suck at Baseball - just like in real life :' )

Karl Kapp said...

Welcoming to the gaming club...it's addictive. If you have a party, play Mario Party 8, the games are ok by yourself but with a group of people and a few Wiimotes, it is a blast...collaborative learning. Have fun!

Cammy Bean said...

I did about 4 rounds of Wii Boxing on Sunday and I'm still sore (which is sort of embarrassing).