Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Week 2 Day 2 - Getting Informal

After a quick lull - the classes are starting to get more popular. We are up to 105 people through our courses this week.

I led the Advanced Provider training this morning. At 7am, I made the decision that all of the courses for the morning were going to be "workshop" style. The contract trainer I paired with this morning is very strong. As a result, I took some of the docs in each session and she took others.

This approach worked well - especially since the classes only had 3 or 4 people. I had also decided that there was 2 things they needed to walk away with. The more important takeaway was the time spent figuring out how they were going to work this new system in the clinic on Monday. One of the docs, who has expressed reservations throughout the project, walked away happy. So much so that one of his colleagues told another trainer -"He's really really happy. What the heck happened?!?!?"

What made the oddly enthusiastic doc happy was that he found he could do exactly what he does now in less time. Even better - he could see patients and enter information in a way that he can later use to run reports to see whether his interventions are working.

I'm not about to look that gift horse in the mouth.

The real test, of course, will be Monday's clinic. From what I'm seeing of the schedules at a glance, karma is conspiring to make the clinics in ALL of the departments unusually busy. I'm bringing my flak jacket.

No comments: