Saturday, March 10, 2007

Searching for Something....

There is something about the "Web 3.0" hype that is fundamentally bothering me.

I can't quite put my finger on it.

Nicholas Carr has found what he considers the "first major Web 3.0 application" in Freebase.

If Web 2.0 was about social connection. Web 3.0 seems to be about "mining meaning". Oh, and maybe having your software help you find that meaning for you.

Hmmm.......

Each time I read information on Web 3.0 apps - I keep thinking of librarians.

Many librarians I know help teach you how to analyse information. Who is presenting the information? What's the bias? Can you put the pieces together into something that makes sense? Have you looked at the question from all angles? Given the information, what is your conclusion and does your evidence support it?

Simple human analysis.

With the wealth of information available at our fingertips - the ability to assess and organize information is more important than ever.

I doubt that "Web 3.0" applications will change that.

No comments: