Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Playing with Firefox

Last night, I installed Firefox on my laptop.

I've heard good things about Firefox. More secure. Less buggy. Better navigation.

I've procrastinated for a couple of years because:

1) I was afraid it would be hard to install and bungee up my computer

2) The application I use for work only supports IE

3) I had no pressing reason to do so.

4) Change requires work and, given a choice, I am fundamentally lazy

Installation only took 4 minutes. And it worked perfectly right out of the box.

I don't remember the last time I've installed a program that worked perfectly the first time out.

Even more exciting - page loads are much faster. Damn near instantaneous and fewer of those pesky pop-ups.

And my favorite feature - if the system freezes, it can go back to whatever I had open at the time. This includes all tabs and browser windows.

And it's FREE!!!!! Thank you Open Source Developers!!!!!!!

Why didn't I do this sooner!!!!!!

The reason why I finally bit the bullet and did this - I want to try out Freebase - the application that is supposed to be the first major Web 3.0 app. Freebase only supports IE7 (that I can't upgrade because the application I use works only in IE 6) and Firefox.

I want to figure out what the buzz is about. The librarian in me is very curious about the potential for newer, smarter searching.

And, if I'm gonna throw stones, I might as well know what I am throwing at....

Meanwhile, the nice people at Freebase told me to wait until Beta before I can play in their sandbox. Ah, the joys of being a Z list blogger....

At least I have my new browser to play with....

2 comments:

Christy Tucker said...

Now you can play with extensions too. So much fun!

Check out Computerworld's top 20 list for a place to start. I think Adblock should be on this list too.

I'm glad you have something enjoyable to play with to give you a break from your job. You definitely deserve it. I think you're amazing to still keep your focus on doing what is right for your learners in the face of all the garbage you have to deal with. Many people would have simply given up, and I admire your perseverance.

Beau said...

I think you're going to love it; with easy-to-install add-ons, you can really customize it to work exactly the way you want to. I haven't seen an ad I haven't wanted to for two years now, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Here's my list of plug-ins I use: http://www.lby3.com/archives/861