Friday, February 09, 2007

What Should We Be Asking?

Feburary's Big Question:

What Questions Should We Be Asking?

Does it work?

I mean that on a couple of different levels....
- Does whatever you designed fulfill the objectives? and
- If using a technology solution - is it bug-free and easy for the end user to navigate?

Is this the best we can do?

Is what you've developed (whether it is an eLearning solution, classroom materials, or a hybrid) the best way to teach your objectives given Time, Audience, Resources, and Restrictions? (I think I'll just call these considerations TARR. Maybe I can introduce a new acronym...)

Ask Matthew Nehrling's question to discover more about your organization's TARR requirements.

Is there another cool tool / method that would work better? (notice I did NOT say faster OR cheaper).

Mark Oehlert and Brent Schlenker are my current favorite resources for cool new things to play with.

I agree with Clark Quinn's eloquent assessment in his answer:

One of the things I keep seeing is that people are focusing on elearning tactics, while not considering how those tactics fit into a strategy. If you’re asking about how to better support conversations, you should make sure that you’ve got a culture that ensures sharing. If you’re asking about creating portals, you should ensure that your instructional design is up to scratch.

So I guess my short answer is that your first question should be if you know where you’re going, and if you do, you should be asking questions about the next step along the path. If you don’t know where you’re going, it doesn’t matter what you ask!

No comments: