Monday, February 12, 2007

Fantasy Golf

These days, I hang out with people who are really interested in fantasy sports. They keep careful tabs on how their players are doing: points scored, injuries, statistics, and other things to take up mental bandwidth.

This has meant too many beautiful afternoons spent in front of the big screen watching sports. I like sports, but at the end of the day I always feel like I should have been doing something more productive.

Nevertheless, I decided to dip my toe into the fantasy pool by playing fantasy golf.

Why golf?

1) I only have to keep track of 4 people. Fantasy Football and Fantasy Hockey require you to keep track of lots of people in lots of positions. I would like to think I have better things to do...

2) I've been a ShotLink volunteer at local Champions Tour and PGA events for 3 years. It would be nice to recognize these guys beyond "Blue shirt, black pants, must be Padraig Harrington."

3) There is an element of dumb luck involved. Even for the pros - the golf gods are fickle.

4) I don't have to watch the tournament - just check up on stats Fridays and Mondays. I'd rather be out hitting balls in 30 degree weather than watching multi-millionaires on TV.

Yahoo Fantasy Golf focuses on how much the player will improve vs. last year. I think this keeps everyone from selecting Tiger Woods for all of their events.

After selecting 2 people who weren't even PLAYING in the ATT Pebble Beach Pro-Am last week (duh), I think I have a decent foursome for this week's Nissan Open: Adam Scott, Lucas Glover, Sergio Garcia, and Trevor Immelman.

And yes, I checked to make sure they were all in the field.

I was pretty happy with last weeks' performance - despite the fact that I have no clue what I'm doing.

Bat's Hackers are currently ranked 162,315 with a whopping 78 points for 1 tournament.

Go team!

No comments: