Friday, December 15, 2006

Talk vs. Action

I have been introducing Moodle to the Manager level over the past couple of weeks and watched to see who uses it and who doesn't.

As anticipated, the gap between talk and action is huge. The challenge - figuring out ways to bridge it.

My change management timeframe for this tool has shrunk dramatically since we moved up our major upgrade to January and reduced the time from installation in our test servers to live from the recommended 20 weeks to 60 days (don't ask).

The system has been positively received verbally. I've received some enthusiastic comments during these meetings. Thus far, I have seen only 2 people outside of the IT department log in and play with the system. This includes the senior management (with a whopping total of 0 logins).

Within IT, I've noticed that the new employees are the ones most enthusiastically using the system. Particularly the network folks. This is encouraging.

The applications team looks at it, likes it, and ignores it. They see it as my baby and a distraction to the "real work" - administering our existing applications. They are also incredibly fixated on the idea that we (I) need to have face time with every student. I suspect that their fixation with classroom training is going to diminish significantly as we find that we don't have the classroom space, bodies, and time to train 2500 people in 2 weeks with what appears to be over 4 hours of material just to prevent our organization from grinding to a stop. I may have to leave that particular issue to the fates.

Looking back, I should have involved the applications team more while I was building the site.

Thus far, I have come up with 2 strategies for bridging this gap.

1) All of the upgrade documentation and materials will appear on this site. No more sending stuff via e-mail. They will get the link. Period.

2) People who want to put training material on our intranet will have to put it on Moodle. I'm having this argument now with one of the other trainers as we speak. I always find it interesting that the educators (the ones who lead the change whether they want to or not) are always the most resistant.

I'm surprised by this since an unexpected side benefit to this system is that it has made it easier for me to organize and rearrange my materials. Furthermore, the people who have worked through the tutorials have liked how the information is organized and how they can stop and start as needed.

I'm gearing up to show the Pilot Clinicians (our more tech-savvy MDs) this new system. I will keep you informed......

No comments: