Monday, December 18, 2006

Physician Reaction

Friday, I presented Moodle to our Pilot Clinicians group. This group consists of the more tech-savvy doctors in the organization. These are the people who help make decisions about the configuration of our Electronic Medical record, make decisions about workflows and point out problems with our system.

I wish there were more than 5 people at the meeting this week, but I got excellent feedback from the group. Even better, they seemed excited.

What made them happy:

- They liked the reporting mechanisms.

- They liked that all of the tutorials were available under specific job titles. (This is the 3rd group that has looked at this form of tutorial organization and liked it, so I am keeping the course categories)

- They liked that I encouraged them to use the system for training their residents and offered to help.

Other questions/comments they had:

- Does this thing have chat capabilities? Yes. And we can sit down and play with the tools to see how best to use them.

- Does this thing have forums? Yes. All of my EMR courses have 2 forums, 1 for questions (and an encouragement for others to answer questions), and 1 for improvement recommendations for the course. These are not gradeable, but can be. The docs thought this was very cool.

- Does this thing have wikis? Yes. I demonstrated one I put together for a project planning area for our upgrade. The wiki capability generated the most discussion.
+ What is a wiki? (This from the doc that is supposed to be the most tech-savvy in the organization. Eeek.)
+ Why can't we see who makes which change right on the page? My answer - It's in the history. The wiki is a living document. Once a wiki is deemed "final", I can help them convert it to documentation.

The exciting thing about these meetings is that people see what I am trying to do. Even better, the "behind-the-back" noise is just as positive. If something wasn't right, I would know about it.

The next trick is to get other people in the organization to take some ownership and help shape the system so that it works for them. A much harder task.

No comments: