Monday, October 09, 2006

Being a Learner

“I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it.”
~ Pablo Picasso
Cited from senia.com

Right now, I find myself well beneath what Kathy Sierra calls the "Suck Threshold".

As a trainer, it is good to be here - if only to remind yourself of what it is like to learn something new and complicated. As a person, well, it sucks - at least until you pass through the "suck threshold" and into serviceable amateur status.

The complexity of the Moodle project overwhelms me at times. Figuring out how to get the reports I want. Getting my Captivate/SCORM modules to work right. Using my iffy HTML/CSS skills to make the site look pretty. Modifying bad picture files. None of these tasks require skills where I feel competent.

For growth - that's the point. It's the memory of feeling completely incompetent that I have to take with me into the classroom. That's where my students are at when they come to see me. And it's the feeling they are desperately trying to avoid.

I would like to think that my regular escapades into the "I suck" zone helps me guide my students through it unscathed.

But right now....it sucks....

No comments: