Friday, September 08, 2006

So what do we do now?



Since the eLearnDevCon 2006 conference, I have been thinking about how to structure our training programs to get the most "bang-for-the-buck". The shift is obvious. The application - not so much.

I've read many blogs addressing Web 2.0, eLearning 2.0, Learning 2.0, Knowledge 2.0, and other 2.0(s). This is what I've gathered so far:

- "2.0" = social interaction and group knowledge construction. For good or ill.
- "2.0" = everyone is an expert. Whether they know anything about the topic or not.
- "2.0" = a collection of technologies that provide access to more information and opinion than you will EVER be able to absorb.
- "2.0" = opening yourself up to the whole wide world on the assumption that good things will happen if you do. The new transparency.

The next issue is how do I apply this? In my attempts to break all of this new information down and apply it to the training program I am developing, I started asking questions:

- What am I seeing in my workplace? I've noticed some trends:

+ It is progressively more difficult to get people to agree to spending training time with me. Even if they DO agree to the face time, I am never given enough hours. Heck, we can barely get people into meetings (but they are not shy about complaining about the decisions made while they were out).

+ The doctors and staff PREFER just-in-time training. They'll worry about it when they need to know it. Tell them before they need it - in one ear and out the other. No matter WHAT instructional design technique you use.

+ The people I work with prefer information in very small chunks. "How do I do this one task?" I can capture their attention with the answer for 5-10 minutes if they can get their hands on it. 1-4 minutes if I do the driving.

+ Many (not all) want only ONE way to do something.

+ The ones who want to see ALL ways of accomplishing a task also want a say in the content of the education, the configuration of the program, the design of the workflow....

Seeing this, I have started looking at some of the technologies available.

In one of my current experiments, I am implementing Moodle as both an LMS and a collaboration tool.

As I set up my "proof-of-concept" site, I've decided to develop 3 general course types:
- Project: a collaboration area with a wiki, chat, and upload resources

- Online only: a place to organize all of the short online tutorials Gesine and I have developed and to do tracking and scoring of these tutorials. Since the tutorials are broken up into task-based chunks, I hope to be able to build "courses" using the same pieces.

- Classroom supplement: a place for documentation and testing materials for the New User class. We are going to keep face to face training for first exposure to new systems and for all new employees.

- I might try to build a 4th - "report your continuing ed" type course.

I haven't finalized the structure of these course types yet since I am still figuring out how Moodle works. I'm also not confident that this is truly a "2.0" implementation or that I am even on the right track building the Moodle implementation this way.
____________________________________________________________________

My sources for learning more about 2.0 stuff (I know for FACT there are others):
Innovation Creators
Brent Schlenker's Corporate eLearning Development blog
eLearn Space
Cognitive Edge
Confused of Calcutta
Trends in Web 2.0 by Dawn Foster
Tim O'Reilly's widely cited article on Web 2.0.

4 comments:

Harold Jarche said...

We did something similar a year ago in a healthcare setting, and I'll gladly share what we learned.

Here's a post relating to it: http://www.jarche.com/?p=566

You may also be interested in this post: http://www.jarche.com/?p=661

Tony Karrer said...

Great post of first hand what is driving eLearning 2.0 adoption!

I'd welcome any thought you have around some of my blog posts on similar topics:

eLearning Technology: Monday Question - Learning Design Different Now?

eLearning Technology: eLearning 1.0 vs. 2.0 - Help Needed

Look forward to reading more from you on your blog!

Brandner said...

Great post, I've certainly been wondering myself how to adopt these concepts in a practical way.

Wikis are certainly great.

Wendy said...

Wow!!! Thank you for the links and your kind comments.

Mr. Jarche and Dr. Karrer - a proper response to both of you will be in a later blog post, as soon as I finish digging through all of the fabulous information you provide on your blogs.