Tuesday, September 19, 2006
Moodle from localhost to DNS
Ta - one of our fabulous Network people - has been helping me with the
more complicated aspects of setting up a Moodle server within a
corporate environment. One of the issues we initally ran into was
accessing Moodle from computers other than the server.
Our install steps - in Ta's words:
Downloaded executable from Moodle.org, then expanded the folder, copy
Moodle to the root of C: drive. Note: *In a production environment,
will install to a separate partition. Renamed the Moodle folder to
xampplite. Then Started the batch file for APACHE and MYSQL.
c:\xampplite\apache_start.bat to START Apache
c:\xampplite\apache_stop.bat to STOP Apache
c:\xampplite\mysql_start.bat to START MySQL
c:\xampplite\mysql_stop.bat to STOP MySQL
To automate this process, add the XAMP to the services of Windows
Run c:\xampplite\service.exe -install (it is set to start automatically
when the server starts)
Once we completed these steps - the site ran cleanly. Only problem - no one else could get to it.
Originally, we used localhost and could not access the site
outside of the server. To fix this, she changed the Config.php file in the Moodle directory c:\xampplite\moodle
One of the reasons why we are trying Moodle is the strength of the documentation available from the community. Even better, most of the documentation is written so a liberal arts major can understand it.
When we do our permanent install - we will change the name to something other than moodle. I found that using moodle as the site name sends people to the moodle.org rather than our LMS. A brain fart on our part. Thank goodness we are doing a test run first.
BTW - the picture above is Ta's little girl. She wanted to show her off.