Thursday, September 07, 2006

Implementing Moodle

Ta, Gesine and I started our Moodle installation for our organization yesterday.

We are doing a small 3 course installation on our old intranet test server. Once we get the settings just right and test out some items (LDAP authentication, reporting, test score imports), we will wipe out the old server and make the whole server our Moodle server. Thank goodness for leftover hardware.

We did the Moodle + Apache + MySQL + PHP v.1.6.1 install. Because the machine we are using currently has a bunch of junk on it, we ran into a couple of issues with the installation.

- The installation uses Port 80. We knew we weren't using Skype - so it took some time to figure out which program was using that port.

- For whatever reason, we are having problems accessing Moodle through Internet Explorer. This is more of an issue with our network and that server than with Moodle. I hope to post a solution and a better description of the problem later - as soon as we fix it.

Once Ta gets the installation stable - I am going to begin playing with the configuration. The Moodle site has excellent documentation.

Despite the huge library of information on the Moodle site, I am a book junkie - so I HAD to purchase the two books that have been published on the topic.

William H. Rice's Moodle:E-Learning Course Development focuses on how the various administrative settings impact the end-user experience.

Jason Cole's Using Moodle gives detailed instructions for using the various tools from a teacher's perspective and tips for developing solid online instruction.

I will continue posting my experience with implementing this LMS in hopes that it will help someone.

1 comment:

pete whitfield said...

I read your blog with some empathy - our institution is also rolling out moodle, though I don't have to do the technical round-the-back stuff.

I have blogged about the lack of engagement with staff - you offer some other angles on this. What I want to try is training in the classroom - not an original idea, I think I pinched it from Stephen Downes. This will, I hope, have several benefits: it trains the teachers and the students together, it is immediate and, most of all, I hope it embarrasses the teachers into action, 'cos the students will be so cool with it. I see Tony Karrer has commented on Moodle and it's ability to promote community. I find I'm splattering forums all over my course area; the community of my learners is more important to me at the start of the course that the web 2.o commmunity, I feel.

The book thing - right on the button! Here I am, mad about learning online, but I still need to do the book thing. I printed out the latest moodle handbook pdf.