Friday, September 01, 2006

Hello World

Why do people and institutions adopt a particular technology? How does one encourage those who are resistant to change?

In this blog, I hope to share my take on the process and my experiences with technology adoption – good, bad and indifferent.

Over the past 4 years, I have worked for 2 separate health care organizations implementing electronic medical records and physician order entry systems. As a trainer, I am keenly interested in what motivates people to adopt technologies and how to make the change process less painful for everyone (myself included).

I am also in the process of building an e-learning system for the health care group I work with. 3 reasons:
- The time doctors, clinical, and support staff spend in the training room is money lost. Sad truth: the medical economy is based on the number of patients seen and the number of procedures performed on each patient. Period. If they are with me – they are not treating patients. Therefore, they are not making money.

- Past the initial introduction to a new technology (navigation, answering questions, soothing fears), there is increasing research that just-in-time training is more effective and more cost-effective than 4 days spent in a classroom 3 weeks before you can actually use the technology. I’m certain that with more time, I can find more scholarly articles, but this one seems to summarize the issue nicely:
Article – Enterprise Networks and Servers – June 2005 : http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa4137/is_200506/ai_n14716829

- (Completely personal) – I like being able to see what I have built. With online tutorials, I have something concrete to measure and look at. Training success is much more nebulous. People can SAY you are a “good trainer”, but the only useful measure (in my book) is whether the behavior has changed in the way you intended and is maintained over time. I’m frequently not in the position to observe success. I hear about the failures. It's a bit demoralizing.

At eLearnDevCon 2006 – Brent Schenker gave a fantastic presentation on how technology (particularly the "Web 2.0" technologies such as blogging and wikis) is going to shape corporate training and our need to co-opt the chaos.

Brent's blog (http://elearndev.blogspot.com) is the best resource I’ve found to date on new technologies and potential educational applications. If you are a trainer or teacher of any persuasion – bookmark this!

I am welcoming any comments, observations, recommendations and assistance as I play with new technologies and attempt to restructure my professional world to accommodate the changes that are headed this way.

Thanks so much for your time. I hope you find this blog useful.

No comments: