Click the picture to view a larger version.
Again, this is NOT the direction we have decided to head.
NO decision has been made as of this writing and the picture does not reflect what is going on with my employer.
I am putting this here as an example.
In the proposed architecture picture above, you may have noticed some colored rectangles.
I am following some ecosystems and roadmaps that impact our ecosystem.
- Identity - Corporate / Staff training relies heavily on the ability to divide people into groups. By org chart (who reports to who and which department). By job type (ex. all acccountants across an organization. By job task (ex. the person in this job needs to view and work with personal health information). Efforts in this area determine how easily we can assign and push materials to particular groups.
- Document and File Management - Where we stash our stuff. I don't want to pay for and maintain an entirely separate solution. I want to work within where everyone else is stashing his / her stuff.
- Communications - These tools are how we deliver live online training. I pulled out WebEx since this is the primary tool we use.
- Business Intelligence - this is not listed as a roadmap in this diagram, but more of a catch-all for reporting. The current thinking is that we are going to try to maintain as much reporting as possible within the host system (in this case, the LMS). This thinking maps to the Business Intelligence unit's roadmap.
- HR Roadmap - this is the roadmap of our primary staff-side stakeholder
- Academic Roadmap - this is the roadmap of our primary student-side stakeholder AND the group that, in this model, would serve as the Learning subject-matter expert.
The HR and Academic Roadmaps help me stay in alignment with the goals and direction of our primary stakeholders. Through those roadmaps, I am able to see what is important to them, where this ecosystem needs to connect to their ecosystem, and what direction they plan to head. Ultimately, any Learning ecosystem needs to work for these two stakeholders. They are the ones who will use the solutions coming out of this the most.